What Are Alexa Routines?
If you own an Amazon Echo smart speaker, you already know that there are hundreds of things you can do with the device. But one of the most powerful features of Echo devices is called Alexa Routines. With Alexa Routines, you can tie multiple actions to a single voice command instead of just one action at a time. They can even automate tasks without needing you to give a voice command at all. However, setting up Routines requires some patience and creativity. Here’s everything you need to know.
Smart Speaker or Smart Display?
First of all, you will need to choose an Alexa smart speaker or smart display device, and there are many to choose from! When choosing a smart device, keep in mind what you will be using it for. For example, will you be mostly playing music or controlling a smart home? If you need help choosing an Alexa device, see our post, “Amazons Echo Lineup Which is Best?”
Things You Can Do With Alexa Routines:
- Create a wake-up routine to give you the news/weather/traffic and start the coffee pot.
- Automate tasks when arriving/leaving home such as turning the thermostat and lights on/off.
- Ramp up security when you are away by locking doors and turning on security cameras.
- Create kid-friendly routines for them to get ready for school or clean their rooms.
- Send a pre-recorded message to all of your Alexa devices.
- Set a timer for your music to start/stop playing.
- Send push notifications to all members of your household.
- Enable Do Not Disturb for a certain period of time.
- Create a Sleep routine to stop playing music, turn down the thermostat and turn off the lights.
How to Set Up an Alexa Routine:
- Download the Alexa app for Android or iOS.
- Open the Alexa app on your mobile device.
- Tap the menu button in the top left corner and select Routines.
- Tap the + icon.
- Select “When This Happens” and choose how you want to trigger the Routine. These are your options:
- Voice – A voice command will start your Routine. For example, “Alexa, good morning.”
- Schedule – Set a time for Alexa to begin your Routine.
- Smart Home – Start a Routine with a device you have added in Devices section
- Location – When you arrive somewhere, like home, Alexa can begin your Routine.
- Alarms – When you dismiss an alarm, your Routine will begin.
- Echo Button – Press your Amazon Echo Button to start a Routine.
- Guard – Create a routine to start with the sound of your smoke alarm/breaking glass. To set up Guard to Away/Home, go to the Settings menu and tap “Guard”.
- Select “Add Action” to link a corresponding action to the trigger you created, the select “Next”.
- Under “From”, select which device controls the Routine.
- Tap “Save” to create the Routine, and you’re all set.
- To modify or delete a Routine, go to the Routines section in the Alexa app. Choose a Routine listed under “Your Routines” to make your changes.
These days, more and more people are discovering the convenience and simplicity of owning an Amazon Echo device. There are hundreds of things you can do with a smart speaker or display, and hundreds more you can do when you set up Routines. So sit back, relax and enjoy your smart assistant Alexa.