Amazon Alexa, if you don’t already know, is Amazon’s digital assistant and comes built into Amazon Echo smart speakers and smart displays. Alexa is perfect for a smart home as it is very convenient to control your smart home with the sound of your voice! Following is a list of many of the Alexa voice commands that you can use:
Basic Smart Commands:
- Say “Alexa” – Say the wake command to wake Alexa,and she will begin listening.
- Discover devices – “Alexa, search/scan for devices.”
- Turn on/off [device] – “Alexa, turn on the lights.”
- Open/close [device name] – “Alexa, close the garage door.”
- Change volume – “Alexa, set the volume to 7,” or “Alexa, turn up/down the volume.”
- Ask for help – “Alexa, help.”
Smart Thermostat Commands:
- Set [thermostat name] to [temperature] – “Alexa, set home to 72 degrees.”
- Set [thermostat name] to heat/cool – “Alexa, set home to heat.”
- What is [thermostat name] temperature – “Alexa, what is home temperature?”
- Increase/decrease [thermostat name] temperature – “Alexa, increase home temperature.”
Smart Lighting Commands:
- Turn on/off [light name] – “Alexa, turn on the dining room lights.”
- Set [light name] to [color] – “Alexa, set living room lights to red.”
- Set/dim [light name] to [percentage] – “Alexa, dim bedroom lights to 25%.”
Smart Security Commands:
- Show the [camera name] – “Alexa, show the front door.”
- Arm/disarm [security device] – “Alexa, arm Ring.”
- Set [security device] to home/away – “Alexa, set Ring to away.”
- Is [security device] armed/disarmed – “Alexa, is Ring armed?”
Smart Lock Commands:
- Lock/Unlock the [lock name] – “Alexa, lock the back door.”
- Is the [lock name] locked – “Alexa, is the front door locked?”
Other Smart Home Commands:
- Control your microwave – “Alexa, microwave the coffee for 1 minute.”
- Change your fan speed – “Alexa, set my bedroom fan to 100%.”
- Check your contact sensor – Alexa, did I close myfront door?”
- Turn on channel/activity – “Alexa, turn on the kitchen.”
- Set guard to away mode/home mode – “Alexa, I’m leaving/I’m home.”
These are just a few of the commands that you can use to control your smart home. If you do not want to use the wake word “Alexa”, you may program your Echo device to use “Amazon”, “Computer” or just “Echo”.
To change the wake word by voice, say “Change the wake word.” To change the wake word in the Alexa app: 1) select the Devices icon, 2) select your device, and the select Wake Word, 3) choose a wake word from the list, and the select OK. If successful, the light indicator on your device flashes orange briefly.
For compatible Echo devices, you can also change the wake word directly on the device: 1) say “Go to settings,” or swipe down from the top of the screen and select Settings, 2) select Device Options, 3) select Wake Word.
Not sure which Amazon Echo device is right for your needs? Then check out our post Amazons Echo Lineup Which is Best.